One thing leads to another and it was billiards that led to the formation of Westcliff-on-Sea Cricket Club.
A group of local men used to meet in winter evenings at the Queen’s hotel, now a car park, at the bottom of Hamlet Court Road. It was from these men that the Club was formed in 1902.
In 1907 the Club first played in Chalkwell Park, the ground it still uses for home fixtures.
In 1910 the Club bought a pavillion for £25. The cost of moving it to Chalkwell Park was £5. On a Bank Holiday of that year the Club also recorded its highest ever score of 505-9 against Edmonton Minerva. Poor Minerva were removed for 29.
During the First World War matches dribbled on. G. Radford took over as President but by the end of the hostilities the Club had no equipment as it had all been sent to the Front to be used by overseas forces.
In 1939 Trevor Bailey CBE, as a 15 year old, made his first team debut. He scored 135 against Old Felstedians and took one wicket. As a boy he’d played for the junior sides and was to become one of the finest all-rounders in the world. Trevor played for the club, Essex and England. He was nicknamed The Barnacle by the Australians.
After his career had ended and when Trevor wasn’t involved with commentating duties, he could be found at the club watching his beloved Westcliff on a Saturday afternoon. When Trevor passed away the club needed a fitting memory of him. The front forecourt was restored and the bar re-vamped and named after him. There is a history, photos and painted portrait above the bar and it is a fine tribute to a fine man and great cricketer.